“The Plan” has two parts. The first part, the idea, involves the overall plan to change our lives. The second part, the physical, is the route and the places we will go.
Part I: Ditch our suburban life… you know, the 9-5 job with another hour or two of commuting to and from suburbia, while attempting to make time for after school activities, sports, and friends? Working our entire lives to accumulate and pay for all of this “stuff” that we “need” just to keep up with everyone else? We ditched it on June 20, 2016! “The Plan” is to live on less, live better, live healthier, have less of an impact on the environment, and become a more cohesive family unit.
Part II: Where do we want to go? We usually say that our goal is to sail around the world, but a full-on circumnavigation may or may not happen. In 2010 we drafted a list of general destinations we wanted to see:
- Northern South America
- Southern Central America
- South Pacific
- New Zealand
- Southeast Asia
- Pacific Northwest
- West Coast of North & Central America
Possible additions to the list depending on just how long we end up being out there:
- Adriatic Sea
- Agean Sea
- Red Sea
- Indian Ocean
But now that we’ve moved aboard, we really only have the next 18 months “planned” – and we are touring the East Coast of U.S. (not on the original plan, but we think it will be a great way to “get our feet wet” with this whole liveaboard, homeschool life!)
We are hoping to cross the Gulf of Mexico from Kemah, TX to Tampa, FL sometime in August 2016 (possibly September depending on weather. Heck, possibly November depending on weather – it IS hurricane season.) With weather being the major factor on timing, here is a general timeline for us:
- August/September – leave Kemah to cross the Gulf to Tampa, FL area
- September/October – West coast of Florida making our way south
- November/December – The Keys, Dry Tortugas
- December/January – Bahamas, Miami/Fort Lauderdale
- February/March – Cape Canavaral/Jacksonville
- March/April – South Carolina/North Carolina
- May/June – Virginia/DC
- June/July – jump up to Maine (want to be there when it is warm!)
- July/August – Boston/Rhode Island
- September – CT, NYC
- October – Chesapeake bay/ Annapolis Boat Show
- November/December – NC, SC, FL (follow the weather south)
- December/January – Bahamas / Caribbean here we come!!!
All of this will be modified based on weather, boat, our love/hate of places we visit, etc. We CAN.NOT.WAIT.